Tuesday, July 8, 2014

spread it out


I've been wanting to make this jam for a long time now, and I knew I'd wait until I could pick my own berries so that it would be the freshest, tastiest jam possible. Most freezer jam recipes (or any jam recipe for that matter) is loaded with a ton of sugar. Now I know that I do a lot of baking with sugar here, but I do try to start my day off right when I can....


The wonderful thing about this jam? It's actually really healthy. It just happens to be sugar-free, but it's not replaced with some sweetener, just good ol' honey. It's also vegan friendly (no pectin) and full of nutrient-packed chia seeds. Remember when I used Chia seeds as an egg replacer? Well they're the thickener in this jam too! 


Currently, I'm obsessed with this jam on a whole-wheat English Muffin (with salted butter of course. It can't all be healthy) for my breakfast. I'm really interested to see how this jam will hold up if it's baked, like in these cookies. Looks like I'll have to experiment and let you know!

Strawberry and Honey Chia Seed Freezer Jam
Adapted from here
Makes about 15 oz. 

Recipe Notes-
- Before adding the Chia seeds to your jam, pulse them in a blender (or food processor) until finely ground and then you won't notice their texture in the jam- especially with the seeds from the strawberries.  
- Frozen fruit is also a great option here. Just let it thaw and then pulse in a food processor. 

Ingredients:
1 lb. strawberries, hulled
4-5 Tbs. honey (depending on how sweet you like your jam)
4 Tbs. ground Chia seeds
juice of half a lemon


Directions:
1. In a food processor (or blender), add the strawberries and process until desired consistency (I like mine pretty smooth).
2. In a medium-sized pot, pour the processed strawberries with honey and bring the to a low boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the berries soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in the Chia seeds and cook the jam on low until it thickens, about 5-7 minutes. Make sure you stir the jam so it doesn't stick.
3. Remove the jam from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let jam cool to room temperature, then pour in a glass jar or air-tight container and store in the refrigerator. The jam will keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks, or frozen for up to a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment