Friday, January 30, 2015

a sweet blend


I love this smoothie so much, I mean, who doesn't want to eat a rainbow (okay, I know I have to give that one to Skittles)? I have this smoothie almost every time after I workout because I freeze almost all the ingredients, so it's nice and cold. And let me tell you, when my pale skin gets worked up my face is the color of a cherry tomato for hours, so I need everything, going in my body post-workout, to cool me down fast. 

                                         

It's so delicious and sweet that it feels like a treat, but it's deceptively filled with nutritious ingredients that are really good for me. 


The wonderful thing about a smoothie is the ability to customize a healthy, filling meal that includes so many essential nutrients. Do you like smoothies? If so, what do you normally put in yours?


Rainbow Smoothie for One
Makes 1 serving

Recipe Notes:
- Feel free to replace or add anything. I use apple juice because it’s pretty neutral in terms of flavor, but adds a little sweetness to the plain yogurt. If I have pomegranate juice on hand, I like that too. I think orange juice overpowers the flavors, but if you love that then by all means…
- If you’ve got banana’s that are bruised, dark brown, or you’ve only eaten half and the rest is at risk for being tossed (or attracting those annoying fruit flies!) than it’s time to put it into a baggie and place it in the freezer for your next smoothie.
- The same rule applies for any fruit or vegetable. Of course you can buy a lot of these items in the freezer section of your grocery store, but if strawberries are on sale, and I know I won’t eat all of them, I wash them, trim the tops off, dry them and place them on a wax paper (or parchment) lined baking sheet and place that in the freezer. Once the fruit (or veg) is frozen I then place it in a freezer-safe zip top baggie.

Ingredients:
1 Cup water (or juice, if you prefer it sweeter tasting)
½ cup non-fat Greek yogurt (optional)
about a ¼ cup of each frozen fruit/veg: carrots, spinach, banana, berries, mango, pineapple
1 Tbs. ground flaxseeds, or Chia seeds
protein powder (I use the scoop included in mine- it’s probably 2-3 Tbs. worth)

Directions:
1. Start off by pouring the water into the blender, then the yogurt (if using). Follow with the fruits and veggies and top that off with the seed of your choice and the protein powder. Blend until smooth, about a minute. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment