Monday, July 14, 2014

Creamy Soda


I first started working when I was 15 at a cute clothing boutique, and any money I made seemed like a lot of work (because it was minimum wage, so yes it was a lot of work!). If I decided to treat myself to anything, it was usually this drink.


There was a popular coffee shop near the boutique that made (and still makes) the best Italian sodas ever. It was the first time I'd ever heard of them and was intrigued. I could pick any flavor I wanted, there was cream involved and they'd top it off with whip cream if you wanted. And I always wanted it. If I ever order an Italian soda anywhere else they never put cream in it, which is one of the main components I love the most!

I used this raspberry syrup, but you can use any flavor or brand you prefer
The best part of making this drink is the ability to make it for just you, or for a crowd. Oh, and you can completely customize it by using a different flavor syrup, adding more or less cream or even adding whip cream to make it extra special! When I served these drinks at Elise Ruby's 1st birthday party (because they were pink and I love them) and I couldn't make enough. Keep the ice cubes fresh and these are a perfect cool summer drink.


Raspberry Italian Soda
serves 1 to infinite

Recipe Notes-
- The recipe is per glass and because each glass varies in size, I used inches for measurements because that's how I've always eyeballed it. What really matters is how it tastes to you. If it's not sweet enough, add more syrup. If it's too sweet, add more cream. If it's too creamy, add more seltzer water. See what I mean? Totally customizable. 
- I use plain seltzer or tonic water, but you could get creative with flavored water and syrup combinations. If you do, let me know how they turn out!
- If you end up making this for a large crowd, it's easy enough to figure out in a pitcher. If it's a crowd of 6 or under, you should be able to make these in the individual glasses with ease (just create an assembly line with friends pouring in the syrup and cream). 

Ingredients:
Seltzer water
Heavy Cream
Ice cubes
Whip cream (optional)

Directions:
In a glass, fill seltzer water half way. Add about two inches of flavored syrup, then about one inch of heavy cream. Drop in some ice cubes, mix with a spoon or straw, and top with whip cream (if desired). 

No comments:

Post a Comment