My hands tend to run on the dry-side because I’m constantly washing them (a certain two-year old may have something to do with that). But then the winter hits and it’s a vicious combination of over-washing, cold & dry weather, forced heat and wearing gloves- they just zap any residual moisture right out of me.
When I worked in a spa, performing facials & body treatments, I paid very close attention to my hands. I mean, who wants a calming face massage by someone with calloused hands? No. No one does.
The good thing about doing all those treatments is that my hands were immersed in product all day. Not only was I exfoliating a client’s calves with a luxurious salt scrub, but my hands became silky soft too. And when I applied a collagen face mask my hands also benefited.
So you see, I’ve learned a few things along the way and here are 6 tips to keep your hands touchable-y soft all year long.
1. After you wash & dry your hands, immediately apply hand cream (this rule really applies to any part of your body) because the pores have opened and the skin is clean, so this is the perfect “surface” for moisture to absorb.
2. Don’t overdo it with hand sanitizer. All that alcohol will strip any ounce of hydration from your hands. These are fine to use in a pinch but when you can, wash the old fashioned way and follow with a hand cream.
3. Exfoliate! Get that dead skin off and all those hand creams will actually absorb. Pretty much any face or body scrub will work. Or if you want a real multi-tasker, this H2O+ product is for hands and feet- it will moisturize and exfoliate because it contains glycolic acid.
4. Bed time is the time to really take care of your hands. This is when you pull out anything that says “rich” or “balm” on the label. For extra-dry, rough patches, use a salve. If your skin is cracked, use a healing ointment like Neosporin.
5. Don’t forget those cuticles! Remember those face oils I talked about? Spare a few drops for your cuticles and massage the oil into them.
6. Travel size hand cream is a must. Public restroom soap is the worst and will turn your hands into Death Valley if you don't immediately moisturize.
Now that we've discussed how to hydrate those digits, here are some of my personal favorites that will help you on your quest for soft hands!
The All-Day, Everyday Lotions:
Extra-Rich & Hydrating:
|L'Occitane/ Deborah Lippmann|
The Healing Salves:
|First Aid Beauty/ L'occitane|
The Mini Traveler's:
|Bliss/ Soap & Glory|
I find it really helpful to moisturize throughout the day because it prevents my hands from getting overly dried out. Basically, this type of maintenance prevents me from having to do damage control (ie, cracked hands, bleeding cuticles, etc.). Any hand creams you've had success with?