Monday, November 4, 2013

Oil Slick: 5 facial oils you didn't know you needed



No, I’m not talking about the Peanut oil I used for frying the cronuts. Facial Oils are increasingly popular because they have so many functions and are good for all skin types. Yes, even you oilier skin folks.

Since the weather is drying out, this is a perfect time of year to discuss why you should try, or at least consider, a face oil. Facial oils are usually plant based and typically contain an essential oil. No, these are not mineral oils which will clog your pores. These facial oils are meant to make your existing routine work better and more efficiently. In some cases they can reduce inflammation, act as antioxidants and hydrate your cells (which helps fatten up those fine lines).

For anyone with combination skin/oily/acne prone skin, a facial oil is the last thing on your mind. However, there is a theory that if you use a topical oil (a non-clogging one) your body won't produce as much oil and you may not break out as frequently. I do believe this theory is true, but only to a certain degree. For instance, if you strip your skin of all its natural oils, i.e. using a harsh cleanser, than your body will over-compensate for the lack of surface hydration and will kick the oil production into hyper-drive. So for all you oily/acne folks, a moisturizer or face oil will actually help make your skin not as oily. But I also believe that if your skin is hormonally difficult (I’m giving the side-eye to teen and menstrual cycle breakouts) then just using an oil is not the only solution.

 Here are a 5 facial oils that are you should try:

1.
via
-The Dr. Dennis Gross Vitamin D serum-oil is amazing for this time of year, especially when you're not going in the sun. Whether it's because of your own good sense or it's just too darn cold to think of it, either way you are technically depriving yourself of some much-needed vitamin D. This serum fixes that. It gives you a dewey, I-just-got-back-from-the-beach-and-look-radiant-and-younger look without being too greasy. Wear this under your moisturizer either am or pm.

2.
via
-This is the oil that is perfect for all the oily/combination/acne prone skin types. Peter Thomas Roth's Oilless Oil with 100% Squalane is not even technically an oil, it just has the feel and slip of one (but it absorbs wonderfully). Squalane is derived from sugarcane and Peter Thomas Roth recommends one drop for the face and if you're really oily, this may be all the moisturizer you need.

3.
via
via
-Josie Maran's Argan oil is 100% pure argan. Argan comes from the nut of the argan tree, in Morocco, and has many benefits for the skin: it's full of Vitamin E and essential fatty acids. Josie Maran has two formulations of her popular Argan Oil- the original and the light. Basically if you're normal to dry, you will use the original Argan Oil. If you're combination to oily skin, you'll use the Argan Oil Light and it should feel weightless.

4.
via
-Nude ProGenius treatment oil contains omega's 3, 6, 7 and 9- this gives the skin a hydrated, youthful appearance. All skin types can benefit from this natural oil.

5.
via
-The Algenist Advanced Anti-Aging Repairing Oil is for mature skin looking to reverse some damage. There are two different types of algae used and they restore elasticity, boost radiance and leave the skin firmer and softer.


There are a couple ways to apply a face oil and I think you need to experiment to find what’s best for your skin- having said that, you should initially refer to the product directions. Some say you should apply your face oil first, and then any treatments you put on afterwards will be more effective because the face oil pushes the active ingredients deeper into the skin. Others say to put the oil on as the last step in your skincare routine: basically over your moisturizer. The theory behind the oil on top is that it locks in all of your treatments and helps them to absorb. There’s no need to rub in a oil- just gently press it into the skin and let it absorb.

If your skin is very dry, you can probably get away with using an oil twice a day since you’re skin should absorb is. For combination/oily skin, you may want to try an oil at night. Because you naturally create oil throughout the day, using an oil during the day may affect your makeup.

Personally, I use the face oil at night, over my moisturizer. Maybe it has to do with my combination skin, but I feel like this is best in my routine. I like it at night so that I don’t have to worry about it competing with the oils that my body likes to naturally over-produce throughout the day. I've been using the Tarte Pure Maracuja oil (first picture shown) and have noticed how hydrated and smooth my skin is when I wake up. I need to exfoliate less frequently and any dry patches I had are nil.

Ever tried a face oil? Any that you love using?

4 comments:

  1. This was helpful for me. I notice my face becoming dry-er as I'm getting older and in an area where there is no moisture in the air. Thanks Trish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy, I think this would be perfect for you! Let me know which one you end up trying!

      Delete
  2. Ok - I have oily skin and feel like I produce enough oil for an oil rig, but you've convinced me to try this out. Especially with the dry winter upon us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Aubrey. I hope you try one and let me know how it goes!

      Delete