Friday, September 18, 2015

dosants

Well I know it's been ages since I've blogged and I don't have any reason for it, other than I've been busy with other interests. I took the time to truly enjoy the summer and I'm so glad I did because now it's busy (I'm sure pretty much everyone can relate to me). Elise Ruby just started preschool and I'm working more, so there's not a lot of extra time. The posts might be a little sporadic until I get into a better groove, so if anyone still reads this thing (thank you!) it'll be easier to subscribe to the blog (on the right-hand side of the site) so that you know exactly when I put up a new post! 
In the spring Kent and I went to Sweet, a dessert-focused restaurant (um, best idea ever!!!) made popular by chef/owner Alina Eisenhauer, who had been on a Food Network cooking competition show.
The restaurant had a fun vibe and good food, but the dessert was amazing (as it should be since that's the theme!). We chose their best seller: dosants. Remember when I made cronuts? Well these are similar since it's fried puff pastry, but instead of cutting it into a classic donut shape, like the cronut, these are rectangular so that they can hold dark chocolate oozing inside.
So yes, they're basically a chocolate croissant, but fried. Then they're tossed in a bit of sugar and the over-the-top-moment is when you can dunk them in Salted Caramel Sauce. I was so excited about eating these that I burnt my tongue. I just didn't have the patience to wait for these to cool, and who can blame me? These are incredibly good. Amazing. Worth pulling out the candy thermometer for.

Now chef Aline was interviewed and gave the recipe away but it's for a homemade puff pastry. By all means, make this if you have the courage, patience and time. Since I claim none of those attributes, I defrosted a package of frozen puff pastry and fried it up. It was superb! You can thank me later.

Dosants
Adapted from here
Serves 8

Recipe Notes-
- I mistakenly added way too much granulated sugar to the outside of my dosants. It’s completely unnecessary, especially if you’re serving it alongside the salted caramel sauce. When I had it at the restaurant there was a little bit of sugar on top, so I adjusted the recipe to reflect that.
- This recipe is easy to halve, just use one sheet of puff pastry and one 4oz. bar of chocolate.

Ingredients:
1 package (17.65 oz.) of puff pastry, thawed to room temperature (1 box contains 2 rolls of puff pastry, you’ll need both)
1 egg, beaten
8 oz. of bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
1.5 L. Peanut oil

2 Tbs. granulated sugar
brown paper bag (optional)

optional: salted caramel sauce for dipping and drizzling

Directions:
1. In a large pot, heat the peanut oil to 350° F (the oil should be 3-4 inches high)
2. While the oil is heating, on a floured board use one puff pastry roll at a time and roll into a square, about ¼” thick. Cut the dough evenly into 4 squares. Use a pastry brush to apply the beaten egg to the bottom edges of each square (the squares will eventually be folded in half). Place one ounce of dark chocolate onto the bottom half of each square and then fold the square in half, pressing down the edges to seal them. Place each pastry on a parchment lined baking sheet and cover with a clean dish towel to prevent drying out. Repeat this process for the second roll of puff pastry.
3. When the oil is hot enough, carefully add 2 to 3 dosants at a time (don’t overcrowd the pot).  Cook the dosants until golden brown all over, or about 2-3 minutes on each side. Remove the cooked dosants and place them on a cooling rack to drain and cool. While the dosants are still warm, but cool to the touch, sprinkle the granulated sugar all over (or place the sugar in the brown paper bag and put one dosant in the bag at a time. Gently shake the bag to coat it evenly with the sugar, although keep in mind this will flatten out your dosants, like mine are).
4. Serve the dosants warm with the optional salted caramel sauce drizzled on top or in a small bowl for dipping.

4 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking treat! I love the photos - makes my sweet tooth happy just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, I'm so glad the pictures portrayed their deliciousness!

      Delete