Friday, September 5, 2014

cool it


Depending on where you live in the world, September doesn't automatically= Fall. Here in New England, we're still having some very hot, humid days and this drink is one of the best ways to deal with the heat.


There's a quaint farmer's market on Martha's Vineyard that my family and I love going to. Sure the produce and flowers are great, but I make a beeline for the stand where they make the citrus coolers (and fresh-squeezed lemonade), to order. 

this is all you need to make the drink

I've watched them make it for many years and I think I've just about perfected the recipe. I was obsessed with these drinks when I was pregnant. 



Citrus Cooler
Serves 1 to infinite

Recipe Notes-
- There will be a lot of simple syrup leftover- I purposely did it that way so you could have a citrus cooler whenever you want, or if you’re making them for a crowd you’d have enough.

Ingredients:
For the simple syrup:
1 Cup water
1 Cup sugar

For the Citrus Cooler:
Juice of ½ of a lemon
Juice of ½ a lime
Juice of ½ an orange
¼ Cup simple syrup
½ Cup to ¾ Cup water
Ice cubes
Glass/cup

Directions:
For the simple syrup:
1. In a small saucepan, add the water and sugar and heat until the sugar is dissolved (if it gets to a boil, only let it boil for a few seconds). Let cool at room temperature, or place in the fridge to continue cooling (can be stored in the fridge, in an airtight container, for weeks).

For the Citrus Cooler:
2. In a glass with ice cubes in it, pour the lemon, lime and orange juices (this tool helps), than the simple syrup. Add a ½ cup of the water and taste. If it’s too sweet, add another ¼ cup of water. Slip a straw in the glass and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment