Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Healthy Swaps

I've been using some healthier substitutions in my baking and here are some infograph's that make it easy to figure out when and where a sub is possible: 

~This infograph focuses mainly on flour substitutions- great for low-carb and gluten-free needs.

via

~Looking for low-fat options? How about an infograph for oil and butter replacements? I love that this also give descriptions as to what kind of texture and taste you can expect from each ingredient- I use this one the most.
via

~Even though this infographic is specifically Chobani, any brand Greek yogurt should work as long as it's plain and unflavored (regular yogurt may work but is runnier than Greek yogurt, so keep that in mind and maybe add more flour if the mixture is too runny). 
via


** I've had some successes and failures with substituting ingredients- It's just a trial and error. Just last week I subbed so many ingredients in a brownie recipe that it turned into a "cakenie" (yes, another weirdo word I made up) which became a hybrid of a cake/brownie... it's not that the texture was bad, it was the taste.... it was not good. Going forward, when I'm experimenting with subbing ingredients, I'm only going to try and change just one or two of the ingredients in a recipe- who knows, you may not be able to tell a difference and it'll probably be healthier for you. Have you had any luck with subbing an ingredient? If so, I'd love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

No comments:

Post a Comment