Tuesday, December 24, 2013

The Santa Plate



Growing up it was a tradition, on Christmas Eve, to make a plate for Santa. My sisters and I would gather some baked goods (typically decorated sugar cookies) and a few carrot sticks (for the reindeer of course) and leave it by the tree with a cup of milk or egg nog.
As we got older we started to know Santa really well and our Santa preferred a glass of milk and graham crackers- he was not a fancy man, our Santa.
In keeping with tradition, I made some sugar cookies recently and thought I'd share the recipe. They make a lot, so whip up some Triple Chocolate Cocoa, invite some friends over and have yourself a cookie decorating party!
(Sugar cookie & glaze recipe to follow)

Sugar Cookie Recipe

Makes 5-7 dozen cookies (depending on the sizes of your cookie cutters)
Barely modified from here

Recipe Notes
- The only change I made was upping the vanilla amount from one to two teaspoons. If I had almond extract I would’ve used that though. That’s how my mom made her Holiday sugar cookies and I love that flavor.
- Keep this dough cold while your working with it. As I state in the directions, divide the dough into quarters and only roll out one section at a time, refrigerating the rest of the dough. The colder the dough the better they retain their shape, and it’s also easier to roll out if it’s on the colder side.
- These cookies freeze really well- just keep them in an airtight container and they should last for a few weeks.
 
Ingredients:
1 ½ Cups butter at room temperature
2 Cups sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla or almond extract
5 Cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt

Directions:
1. In a large bowl fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Once mixed, gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt.
2. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours (or overnight).
3. Preheat oven to 400° F. Divide the dough into four sections and only work with one section at a time- refrigerate the rest of the dough while you roll out each piece on a floured surface (1/4 to ½” thick). Cut into shapes with any cookie cutter and place cookies on a baking sheet. Bake 5-7 minutes, or until edges are slightly browned. Cool completely.



Sugar Cookie Glaze
Recipe doubled from here
Should frost 2-3 dozen cookies

Recipe Notes:
- Since this is a glaze it does harden, making the cookies stackable. I own practically every sprinkle imaginable so I didn’t go crazy with lots of colors of glaze, but you certainly can.

Ingredients:
2 Cup confectioner’s sugar
4 tsp. milk
4 tsp. light corn syrup
½ tsp. vanilla or almond extract
Assorted food coloring

Directions:
1. In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients until smooth. If glaze is too thick, add more corn syrup.
2. Divide into separate bowls and add food coloring to your desired intensity. Spread onto cookies and let frosting air dry before stacking into an airtight container.




*Whether you give these away to friends, family or Santa, I hope you enjoy eating and decorating them as much as my little helper and I did!


1 comment:

  1. Anyone who knows me accepts that I'm total disaster in the kitchen. But somehow I managed to make these cookies and they came out great!! I made yellow submarines for my son's Beatles themed birthday party and they were a huge hit! The frosting was easy to make, ACTUALLY hardened and didn't even melt in the sun! Win! Thanks Trish for this awesome recipe! I can always count on you to help me out when I'm in a baking jam or a creative rut. You're the best!!

    ReplyDelete